11 February 2008

Are you a bigger loser than Marko? Week 1 Recap

Well, Week 1 is in the books and I'm happy to report that it was a great week! I lost 11 pounds! My current weight is now 240.

I've been counting calories, drinking more water, and exercising. (I'd say exercising more, but then I hadn't been exercising any.) Randa is joining with me in the calorie counting and she lost 5 pounds! I made a few startling realizations (which, in retrospect shouldn't have been all that surprising) in the first week. First, I was eating way too many calories. I would say that at times, I was probably consuming at least twice the calories I should have been consuming. Second, I need to exercise. I've felt good after my walks, especially the ones where I have pulled the girls in their wagon. I'm looking forward to seeing how I will feel once I start running again (once I lose some more weight - too much pounding on my joints right now). Third, I'm not feeling as hungry as I thought I would. Sure, I am feeling hungry some, but the problem I have dealt with more is wanting foods that are unhealthy and filled with calories. Participating in this contest and receiving so much encouragement from Randa have made staying on track a whole lot easier. Here's to a great Week 2!

Week 2 will be harder for several reasons. First, I am certain that I won't lose as much weight the second week and I have to prepare myself for that. Second, Valentine's Day falls during this week. Randa and I are going to order in and have a nice romantic dinner at home. We're going to relax the rules a bit for this meal. Third, I'm going on a youth retreat this weekend. Staying on track away from home is harder, but it can be done. I'll be happy with whatever amount I can lose in Week 2. I'm hoping for at least 3 pounds.

TRACKER: Starting weight 251, current weight 240, contest goal 215, ultimate goal 185

2 comments:

Tom said...

This is really encouraging to hear Stephen. What great news. Keep it up. How many calories are you allowing yourself?

Stephen Gray said...

Right now, I'm shooting for between 1750-1800 calories a day. I'm following a plan that Matthew McNutt, a youth pastor who was on the Biggest Loser TV show, used. His plan said to start with your weight multiplied by 7 as your starting point for calorie intake(making sure you're within a certain range).