24 March 2008

Lent Update - Final


Lent is over! This year's season of Lent was special for me. I was able to keep my Lenten promise of not watching sports on television. It was difficult at times, but it was a good promise to make and to keep. Randa especially enjoyed not having the TV on sports during the weekends of Lent. I was able to do more with my family during this time, so that was nice. I also was able to reflect more inwardly spiritually during this time. Missing sports on TV (especially the first three days of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament) wasn't too bad. I was satisfied with filling that time by focusing on my relationship with God. I even learned a few things about myself and how I had been spending my time. I need to spend more time with my family and with God. While I'm not giving up sports watching for good, I'll definitely watch less from here on out. (Football season will be the big test - I'll check back on this promise then.)

Once again, I enjoyed hearing from the children about how they did with their promises. The youth made promises this year as well. Sharing together in community this discipline was good - for us as individuals and as a group. I always left church on Wednesday and Sunday nights encouraged by the stories from the children and youth.

The final observation that I have on Lent is the power of the promise kept. Focusing on the promise during the season of Lent brought a new appreciation and joy for Easter. Celebrating Easter took on a new sense of joy as I was able to watch some NCAA basketball on television for the first time! I don't think it was a coincidence that the first NCAA tourney game I was able to watch was the Davidson upset of Georgetown. Pure joy!

No comments: