21 February 2007

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. I will be leading our Children's Program on Wednesday nights during Lent. Tonight we will be discussing the Lenten season. In addition to learning about Ash Wednesday and participating in our church's service tonight, we, the leaders and children, will make a Lenten promise to do something loving, or to give up something we really like, in order to help us remember Jesus. I am going to give up eating fast food for Lent. During those times when I hunger for a Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit from McDonald's or a Cheesburger from Wendy's, I am going to focus on Jesus and the sacrifice he made for us. I am hoping that through this experience I will not only eat better and lose weight, but I might be drawn closer to the Lord. I'll keep posting about my Lenten promise as the season progresses.


Here's a picture of me with my beard. I decided to grow a beard this winter just to see how it would look. I kind of like it - I just wish there were fewer gray hairs! Below is a picture of the motivation behind my Lenten promise. That scale says 248! That would be a great weight if I was playing fullback for the Cowboys, but it's not so great for a 37-year-old Youth Pastor. I hope to use this Lenten season to kick start a new focus on healthier eating and exercise, as well as a renewed spiritual growth focus. My goal is to grow spiritually as I shrink physically!

3 comments:

Josh said...

i love the beard dude. nobody will ever mess with you with that beard. i meant to tell you the other day i thought that the beard was awesome...i don't think i could even grow one...

Stephen Gray said...

Thanks Josh.

Anonymous said...

I like the beard. If you put on flanel you might get an Al Boreland thing going.

BTW, so I don't seem to be just a joker...I look forward to hearing about your experience during lent. I have given up overeating. Living near Gold's Gym has been great too. Now I just need to clear some time!