24 September 2007

Fall Means Blogging!

After taking most of the summer off from blogging, I've decided to start back up on this, the first full day of fall! A lot has happened over the last several months, so I think there will be many posts forthcoming! Let's start with this past weekend.

Friday through Sunday was my fourth Summit Lake Senior High Retreat. This is the second year I have been involved in leading the retreat as the "Retreat Director." In reality, I work with a great team of fellow youth pastors from the NorthStar Church Network to help make the retreat happen. My main contribution has been to be the administrative leader. I don't mind it, but I am looking forward to having someone else either take the mantle or at least be co-director.

I felt this year's retreat was our best one yet. The speaker, Chris Folmsbee, was great and together with Harp 46 and Communidad Hispana de Columbia, made up the best worship leadership I think we've had at my four years of Summit Lake. The words honest, open, authentic, heartfelt, and genuine come to mind when describing our leadership. They pointed us to God! They challenged us! They encouraged us! Chris left immediately after our last worship celebration so that he could try to get an earlier flight back home to be with his family. That's the kind of speaker I want teaching my students. My good friend Josh and I (along with Andy and Katie) helped put together some worship stations that made the worship times even more special. Thanks Josh! You can read more about Summit Lake at Chris' blog and Josh's blog.

Josh with Chris at Summit Lake.


Me with Chris. Unfortunately for Chris, his Bears lost to my Cowboys!


The best part of the weekend for me was having my family present. This was the first youth trip that we have attended as a family. My wife is awesome! She did so much with the kids by herself because of my leadership responsibilities at the retreat. The times we were together made the weekend special for me. Being able to see Randa and the girls each day was awesome. Eating meals together, going on paddle boat rides, playing on the playground, and worshipping together was an experience that I will never forget.


Westwood Baptist at Summit Lake!

1 comment:

Tom said...

I'm glad the retreat was meaningful! You did a wonderful job and I think your wish is granted. Chris said he'd direct the retreat next year. I can't wait to hear from everyone how the "family" adventures went for the weekend.

Tom